Importing Employees Manually from the Employee Pool
This tutorial will show you how to import employees manually from the Employee Pool (see note below) to add them to the current payroll.
What is the Employee Pool? - The employee pool is the location where all employees are displayed (whether active or inactive), regardless of the module to which they are assigned (e.g. Payroll, HR, Scheduling).
The employee pool can be accessed by choosing the Employee - Setup Employee menu command under the Employer tab.
Staff become part of the employee pool in several ways:
- When they are added to any payroll. Once an employee exists in one payroll, they are also displayed in the employee pool and are available to be added to other payrolls and to other modules (HR, Scheduling, etc.).
- When they are added to the Setup Employee screen under either the Employer, HR or Scheduling tab's Setup Employee screens. Employees that are added in this manner (i.e. outside of any payroll) will not appear in a payroll unless they are explicitly imported into one. This allows you to use the HR or Scheduling modules independently of your payroll. Once an employee is imported into one or more payrolls, the person's information will be shared between the modules from that point forward (e.g. if you change the employee's address in the Payroll module, the change will also be shown in the HR module). To learn more about importing HR or Scheduling employees into your payroll, refer to the Importing Employees from the Employee Pool tutorial for more details.
Importing Employees from a Different Payroll - When you import employees from a different payroll, only basic payroll information is included (e.g. name, address, language preference, etc.) - their year-to-date information from the other payroll is not included.
NOTE: Click on the images below to view them at full size
To import employees into the current payroll from the Employee Pool:
- Choose the Employee - Import Employee menu command. This opens the Import Employee screen that lists employees who exist outside of the current payroll.
Example: In our example below, we see a pool of six employees. Three of them are currently part of a different payroll, and the other three are not yet assigned to any payroll.
Fig. 01: The Import Employees screen lists employees who exist outside of the current payroll.
For this part of the tutorial, we will import the first three employees in the list along with their basic settings only (as mentioned in the note at the top of this page).
- Select all of the employees who are to be imported into your current (open) payroll. You can select multiple employees by clicking on the first employee in the list to highlight the row, and then holding down the <Ctrl> key on your keyboard as you click on other employee rows.
Example: In the example below, we have highlighted our three employees.
Fig. 02: Three employees are highlighted and ready to be imported in the current payroll.
- Select the Import Employees button from the Button Bar above the table to perform the import. Once the import process is complete, the employees are removed from the list (since they are now a part of the current payroll and cannot be imported again).
Fig. 03: Other employees still remain for import after the three imported employees are removed from the table.
- To view the newly imported employees, choose the Employee - Setup Employee menu command. When the screen appears, you will see the new employees appear at the bottom of the list.
Fig. 04: The newly imported employees appear at the bottom of the list.
As mentioned earlier, the three new employees have been imported with their basic payroll information only (name, address, language preference, etc.). They have not been assigned any earnings, deductions, WCB rates, or any other item that may be applicable to your current employees. To demonstrate this, we will view a screen that shows each employee's assigned payment settings.
- Choose the Employee - Pay Parameters menu command. When the screen appears, you will see the new employees are not assigned any WCB settings nor do they have an assigned Statistic Code.
Fig. 05: The employees are imported with basic information only.
- Continue working through the Employee menu to define the remaining settings for the newly imported employees.
This completes the tutorial on manually importing employees from the employee pool.