Create an HR Skill
This tutorial will show you how to create HR skill types - records that track the abilities and work-related competencies that each employee possesses.
NOTE: Click on the images below to view them at full size
To Add a Job Skill:
- Click on the HR tab and then choose the Employer HR menu to display the various options.
Fig. 01: The Skills command under the HR tab's Employer menu.
- Choose the Skills menu command. This opens the Skills screen that is used to define records that can track the skills and work-related abilities of your employees.
Skills Help page...
- Choose the New button to insert a blank skill row in the table.
- Use the Name cell to enter a descriptive name for the skill and then move to the Description cell and enter a brief description for the skill.
Example: In Fig. 02 below, we have created a sample Forklift Operator skill that will be required by all employees who operator forklift equipment in our warehouse.
Fig. 02: The Name and Description cells completed.
- Move to the Details cell and click on the Enter hyperlink. This opens a window that allows you to enter detailed information about the skill.
- Enter the skill type's details as needed. You can use the formatting bar to change the font size, color, etc. You can also paste content into the window from another program (word processor, email, etc.).
Example: In Fig. 03 below, we have entered the basic skill requirements that must be met in order for the employee to be classified as possessing this skill.
Fig. 03: The completed Details window.
- When the skill details are complete, choose the Save button to close the popup window. This returns you to the main screen where the cell's original hyperlink has been replaced with the word "Edit" to indicate that you can perform further changes to the details when needed.
- Select the Documents button to open a window where you can attach documents and files that pertain to the current job skill. This can include PDFs, word processing documents, spreadsheets and images.
Fig. 04: The Documents window.
- When the Documents window appears, select the "+" (plus sign) icon to display the Open dialog box, and then use the window to navigate to the location of the document(s) that you wish to add.
Example: In our example below, we see several documents that relate to the Forklift Operator job position.
Fig. 05: Choose one or more documents to be added to this job skill.
- Select one or more documents as needed, and then choose the Open button. This adds the selected document(s) to the eNETEmployer Documents window.
Fig. 06: Four supporting documents are added for this job skill.
- Select the Close button to exit the Documents window and return to the Skills screen.
- Choose the Save icon (the Check Mark icon at the left side of the row) to accept your changes. This action saves the changes for the row and takes you out of Edit Mode.
- Repeat the preceding steps to enter additional skill types to support your company's HR needs.
Example: In Fig. 07 below, we have created a total of five job skills that can be assigned to our employees.
Fig. 07: Five sample job skills.
This completes the tutorial on adding HR skills.
To learn how to assign these skills to your individual employees, refer to the Assigning Employee Skills tutorial.