Creating an XML T4/T4A Data File
Use the following tutorial to learn how to create the XML data file that contains your company's T4, T4A and other year end data.
Before You Begin: - This lesson assumes that you have already completed the following required steps:
- You have closed your final pay period of the year and cleared your year-to-date values. YTD values must be cleared in order to perform year-end functions.
- You have created your year end settings and have completed the necessary information (as described in the Year End Settings tutorial).
- You have generated your T4s or T4As (as described in the Working with T4s or Working with T4As tutorials).
NOTE: Click on the images below to view them at full size
To Create an XML Data File:
- From the Payroll module, select the Year End menu to view the available options.
Fig. 01: The Year End menu command provides access to the Print Year End Forms screen.
- Choose the Print Year End Forms option from the menu. This opens the Print Year End Forms screen where you can work with all aspects of year end reporting including viewing, printing, and exporting.
Print Year End Forms Help Screen...
If you have never created a year end report, the screen will not contain any report rows (as shown in Fig. 02 below).
- Choose the New button from the top left side of the table. This inserts a blank report into the table and the row appears in Edit Mode so that you can work with the various settings.
Fig. 02: A new report row is added to the screen.
- Move to the Name cell and enter "XML File". This will help you to identify the report type if you decide to add other reports with different settings (because this report row can be used to generate a variety of year end reports simply by changing the type).
- Move to the Type cell and notice how the default report type is set to "T4". Since the XML data file is dependent on this report type, you will not need to change this option.
Fig. 03: Entering a name for the report and choosing the T4 type.
- Click on the drop down list in the Year column and then select the year for which the XML file will be generated.
Example: In our example below, we will choose the year 2020.
Fig. 04: Choosing the year for which the XML data will be generated.
- Click on the drop down list in the Output column and select the Internet filing (XML) option. this will instruct the program to create the XML data file when you generate the report.
Fig. 05: Choosing the XML output type.
- Save the report row and then choose the Generate Report button that appears at the left side of the row. When you do so, the XML report is generated. Depending on your browser settings, the resulting .XML file will either be stored in your Downloads folder or you may be presented with a dialog box that will prompt you where to save the file. In some browsers, the report is made available as a button that appears at the bottom of your screen (see below).
Fig. 06: the XML file is created.
The file is now ready to be submitted to the CRA.
View the Next Step: Submit an XML File to the CRA
- Year-End Overview
- Employee T4s
- Employee T4As
- T4/T4A Reports
- Magnetic Media Filing