Reporting - Creating ROEs
eNETEmployer allows you to create electronic and paper-based versions of an employee's Record Of Employment (ROE). An ROE report contains the data required by the CRA to determine whether the employee qualifies for Employment Insurance (E.I.) benefits, how much he/she will receive, and the length of time the benefits will be paid.
For this tutorial, we will discuss how create both the electronic version (for submitting to Service Canada's ROEWeb) and a manual copy that can be used for review only (i.e. it cannot be used with Service Canada).
When to Issue ROE's - You must issue an ROE for an employee each time they experience an interruption of earnings; or when Service Canada requests one. Generally speaking, you would issue ROE's under any of the following circumstances:
- An employee is leaving the company.
- You are changing payroll providers.
- You are changing your company's Business Number.
- You are changing the payroll frequency.
In each of these cases, you would set each employee's status to Terminated, so that you can issue the ROE accordingly. In cases where the employees will continue working at the same company (like a Business Number or pay frequency change), you would set each employee's status back to Active for the subsequent pay cycle.
Note: Some of these examples provide exceptions that may negate having to create an ROE. Please refer to the Government of Canada's website page on ROE's for detailed information.
NOTE: Click on an image below to view it at full size.
To Set the Employee's Status:
Before you create an ROE, you must set the employee(s) Status to reflect their payroll situation. For example, if an employee is leaving the company, you would set their payroll status accordingly (Terminated, On Leave, or Last Pay). In the following tutorial, we will set the employee's to Terminated so that the ROE can be processed accordingly.
- From the Payroll tab, choose the Employee - Status Parameters menu command. This opens the Status Parameters screen where you can review or edit their "state" or status in the payroll.
Status Parameters Help Screen...
All of the employees who are actively engaged in work with the company will have the Active status assigned (see below).
Fig. 01: The Active status indicates that the employee is actively engaged in work with the company.
- Double-click on the desired employee row to activate Edit Mode (you can also choose the Edit icon at the left side of the row - the Pencil icon). In our example, we will edit the row for Gregory House.
- Move to the Status cell and select the downward facing arrow. This displays a menu with all of the available statuses in the payroll.
Fig. 02: The EFT report row is added.
- Select the Terminated option and then save the change by clicking on the check mark icon at the left side of the row (the Save icon).
With the employee's status set to Terminated, you can now proceed and create an ROE for the person.
Fig. 03: The employee's status is set as Terminated.
To Create the ROEWeb File:
- From the Payroll tab, choose the Payroll Processing - Reports menu command. This opens the Reports screen.
Reports Help Screen...
If you have never created a report, the screen will not contain any report rows (our example below shows three report rows already in place)
- Click on the downward arrow that appears to the right of the New button. This displays a menu with a number of common report types that are available for use with your payrolls.
Fig. 04: Choosing the Web Record of Employment report option.
- Choose the Web Record of Employment (ROEWeb) option from the drop down list, and then choose the New button. This action inserts a new report row into the table with its cells ready for editing.
Fig. 05: The ROEWeb report row, ready for editing.
Default Report Row Settings - As you review the row you have just inserted, you will notice that there are a number of columns and settings available. Some options are grayed out, indicating that the particular option is not applicable to an ROEWeb file. The options that are available for ROEs include:
- Last - leaving the check this box will create the report based on the last calculated pay period.
- Order and Order 2 - useful only when you are creating ROEs for multiple employees, this option allows you to specify the primary order on which the report's data will be sorted.
- Employee - this option allows you to specify the employees that should be included when the report is created. The default option is to include all employees.
For this tutorial, we will change the Employees setting to include only one employee who is to be issued an ROE.
- Scroll to the Employees column and click on the downward arrow. This display a list of the employees in the payroll.
- Click on the desired employee(s) whom you wish to issue an ROE. In our example, we will choose one employee only - Gregory House.
Fig. 06: Selecting the employee who is to be issued the ROE.
- Once you have selected the employee, close the list by selecting the "X" icon near the top of the list. This employee alone will now be included in the report.
- Select the Generate Report button. A brief message is displayed as the program uses the employee's payroll information to create the ROEWeb data file. Once the process is complete, the file is stored in your Downloads folder.
- Depending on the browser you are using, the downloaded file will either
appear as a link at the bottom of your screen (as it does in the Google Chrome browser shown below), or it may appear as a link near the top of your browser, as it does with FireFox, Internet Explorer and others.
In our browser example below, clicking on the button's arrow provides a Show in Folder option that allows us to instantly navigate to the Downloads folder.
Fig. 07: Your browser provides a direct link to the downloaded file.
- Open your Downloads folder to view the generated ROEWeb file location. In our example with the Google Chrome browser, we will choose the Show in folder command to navigate to the file's location in one step.
You can now upload this file to the ROEWeb portal on the Service Canada website for processing.
Fig. 08: The EFT is created and stored in your Downloads folder.
To Create a Printed ROE (for review purposes only):
- From the Reports screen, click on the downward arrow that appears to the right of the New button and then select the Record of Employment option.
- Select the New button to insert this report row into the table.
- On the new row that appears, click on the Background cell to place a check in its box. When the report is created, it will now include the familiar ROE form as a background.
Fig. 09: The Background option will include the familiar ROE form as part of the report.
- Scroll to the Employees column, click on its downward arrow, and then select the desired employee(s) for whom you wish to issue an ROE.
- Select the Generate Report button to create the ROE report. Once the process is complete, the file is stored in your Downloads folder.
Depending on the browser you are using, the downloaded file will either
appear as a link at the bottom of your screen or perhaps as a link near the top of your browser.
- Select this download link (or simply Navigate to your Downloads folder) and then open to ROE report to review its information.
Fig. 10: The ROE report can be used for review purposes only.
As mentioned earlier, this report is for review or proofing purposes only. It cannot be used as an official document with Service Canada.